Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Crocheted Granny Square Vest

I was so excited to learn that my vest has been featured on foundhandmade.com on their blog! And the following day received an email that the same vest was featured in handicrafter.today.com as one of their top 10 picks! Both of these sites promote etsy sellers, and I was thrilled to be one of those lucky sellers! I have been selling on etsy for over a year...this is a first for me!

There is a story behind this little vest. I was contacted by a girl who had seen and loved my granny square purse, but asked if I could use this same square and make her a vest. I was jazzed at the thought of actually designing something for someone in particular!

I knew that if I were to turn the square and not use it on the diagonal it would have a totally different look, so I labored over coming up with someone that would use it diagonally. I also had to take a couple rows out of the granny to make it smaller in order to make it fit the design.

I am really quite proud of what I came up with. The design is so simple, but the work in each granny square makes up for the difference!

I used embroidery thread and a small crochet hook to make the squares. It takes an unbelievable amount of thread...but the end effect is so worth it! After all my squares are done, and all the ends woven in, I assemble the vest.

This is a labor of love for me. I love color! The brighter the better! For me there is no problem with mixing odd colors together...somehow they work! Is it not the coolest thing to take a simple granny square and give it a modern swing!?

Here's hoping for a good week! I have been working on squares for my granny square skirt, and will hopefully get some more pictures uploaded of my progress this week, as well as another little project I worked on this weekend!

6 comments:

Just Be Happy said...

Congratuilations Dawn!
You deserve it, because your work is impecable and gorgeous!

Olya-lya said...

Bravo!!!!!! Очень красиво! :)

Mary Grace McNamara said...

You should be thrilled, but certainly not surprised! Your work is beautiful and your color combinations are fabulous! Good for you!

MGM

Unknown said...

I am excited...it's those little things in life that do it for me!

Daisy said...

Congratulations!!! You are very talented! The vest is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Where can I possibly find this pattern. My daughter found it but it was in Russian. She wants an afghan out of this pattern. Your work is beautiful. Hope one one can help.